crest banner crest

Remember, there's a map to help you find your way!!


Map key G

Named for the Shawnee Indian chief who helped the British capture Detroit during the War of 1812, the bust is actually that of Tamanend, the peacable leader of the Delaware inidians who befriended early settlers. Brought to the Yard in its original, wooden, form as the figurehead of the federal ship-of-the-line Delaware, the icon resided at several locations around the Yard, finally finding its way to the present spot in front of Bancroft Hall in 1917. By the late 1920s time and weather had beaten the original wooden relic severely, so the class of 1890 subscribed to have the present bronze casting produced. Cast at the Naval Gun Factory in Washington and incorporating the wooden "brains" and "heart" of the original figurehead, the bronze casting was installed on its marble base at the edge of Tecumseh Court in 1930. Tecumseh's normal color is the familiar dark brown patina of bronze, but every year for Commissiong Week, Parents' Weekend, Homecoming, and before the Army-Navy game the bust is painted in colors appropriate to the occasion.

Michelson Hall

Michelson Hall
Map key 3
Michelson Hall is named for Dr. Albert Michelson (USNA 1873). In 1878, along a seawall near the site of the building bearing his name, Dr. Michelson became the first person to successfully measure the speed of light. In 1907, in recognition of his achievement, Dr. Michelson became the first American to be awarded the Nobel prize in physics. A series of brass markers, embedded in the concrete plaza between Michelson and Chauvenet Halls, marks the line along which Dr. Michelson recorded his historic observations.

Mexican monument

Mexican Monument
Map key F

The Mexican monument was erected in 1848 by the students of the Naval School at Annapolis (it wasn't named the Naval Academy until July 1, 1850) to honor four Midshipmen lost in the Mexican War. The names of the fallen four, Midshipmen Clemson, Hynson, Pillsbury and Shubrick, each appear on one of the four faces of the obelisk.

Macedonian monument
Map key V
Macedonian Monument

Commemorating the victory of Stephen Decatur over the H.M.S. Macedonian in the War of 1812, the monument is a replica of that ship's figurehead. The monument, which features four cannon captured from the Macedonian, is located at the end of Stribling Walk at Maryland Avenue.

Tripoli monument

Tripoli Monument
Map key C

The oldest military monument in the United States, the Tripoi monument is dedicated to six naval officers killed in the war with Tripoli in 1803. The monument, crafted of Italian Carrera marble by the sculptor Micali, was moved from the grounds of the U. S. capitol to the Naval Academy in November, 1860. The monument is showing its age, and is in danger of deteriorating to a point beyond repair. The Naval Academy and the Naval Institute have begun a fund to raise money for the monument's restoration.





Don't give up the tour! ...there's lots more!

prev page Page 1 brass crest Page 3 next page

Annapolis National Cemetery
Mike's railroad page

Last updated Monday, October 17, 2005

All photographs © by Michael Calo, Annapolis, Maryland
Some information obtained from USNA page "The United States Naval Academy: 150 Years of History"
Blue Angel graphics and USNA seal obtained from the U.S. Naval Academy HTML Resources page

DISCLAIMER: The contents of this page are not officially associated in any way with, or approved, edited or overseen by, any individual, division or agency of the United States Naval Academy, the United States Navy, the Department of Defense or any other branch of the United States Government, nor with any group or organization which is in any way associated with the United States Naval Academy, the United States Navy, the Department of Defense or any other branch of the United States Government.